Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) are used by enterprises to improve efficiency and enhance customer experience. With many digital and social media companies embracing AI/ML, both technologies have begun to play a significant role in our day-to-day activities as well. Let’s find out where and how.
AI and ML have gone mainstream. An IDC report projects revenues for the global AI market, including software, hardware, and services, to surpass $300 billion in 2024 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 17.1% in the 5-year period. While the common perception is that AI & ML are advanced technologies used in complex business activities, these technologies are also changing our personal lives. While most of us are not aware that we are using these technologies, the truth is, we all are using or experiencing AI & ML in our lives in one form or another.
If you’re a company interested in building AI-driven products and services to enhance customer experience, then Gemini Consulting & Services can be your technology partner. Our dedicated AI practice has experienced data scientists, data analysts and software developers to help you convert your vision into reality. Click here to know how AI/ML can be utilized to expand your business.
- Online Search: Google is extensively using AI and ML to improve the search experience of the users. From search recommendations, contextualization of search queries to understanding misspelled words, AI is being used in search engines. Recently, Google has also started providing key and exact moment recommendations on YouTube videos. Using AI, the search engine is trying to understand the deep semantics of a video and identify key moments such as the game-winning home run from highlights videos or a particular moment from a movie.
- Maps & Navigation: We all use Google maps while travelling. Google maps use AI and ML to provide you with information on your destination, recommend the fastest routes, and estimate travel time based on real-time traffic data. If you use Uber or any other ride-sharing app for travel, then these companies also use AI/ML to identify your pickup and drop locations, calculate fares, surge prices etc., in real-time.
- Email: Most of the email providers like Gmail, Yahoo, Microsoft etc., use AI/ML to enhance your experience. Ever wondered how your emails are categorized into Social, Spam, Promotions etc. It is done using AI. While writing an email, you must have noticed text suggestions like if you type ‘Hope’ Gmail prompts you “Hope you’re doing well” or smart reply prompts like ‘Thank You”, “will look into it” etc. The text prompts and smart replies are based on how you generally reply to your emails. AI/ML models process your past email data, identify patterns, learn and then suggest texts and replies to you.
- Online Shopping: The e-commerce industry has been extensively using Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning to personalize the experiences of customers, predict customer behavior, and drive customer engagement. From product recommendations to email reminders of products in your carts, AI/ML is influencing most of the e-commerce activity. Product recommendations are done by processing data of your shopping and search history. If you search and view a product on an e-commerce website and then move to other websites without buying it, the e-commerce company leverages AI/ML to follow you with ads of that particular product. There are many more examples of AI/ML in everyday e-commerce operations.
- Social Media: All social media companies including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc., use AI/ML. From friend recommendations to text translation on your newsfeed- all have AI imprint on them. Social media channels also use AI & ML to understand your interests based on your posts and conversations and then show you relevant ads. Facebook uses AI to identify hate speech, nudity and other objectionable content.
- Virtual Assistants: We all today have virtual personal assistants in Siri and Alexa who help us in finding information, listening to favorite music and other daily tasks. These digital assistants use conversational AI- a new method for man-machine interaction wherein instead of multiple clicks, a single voice command does your job. “Alexa, how’s the weather today” will give you your local weather information instantly.
- Security & Surveillance: CCTVs are useful in recording all the events of a specific area. But monitoring the footage is tough and prone to human error. AI-enabled CCTVs now not only record and monitor activities but also analyze the visuals and images to predict suspicious behavior of people and create alerts to prevent crimes.
In the future, AI and ML will play a greater role in our lives. Technology has immense potential and what we’re witnessing today is just the tip of the iceberg. Expect more AI-driven smart products and services in your life.