Cloud native DevOps is a set of principles that describes how people work to build, deploy and manage apps in a cloud native environment. Containers, microservices and Kubernetes have changed how people work. Therefore, it is important to observe cloud native DevOps as an approach that amplifies the ongoing requirements for development and IT teams to create workflows to maximize an organization’s core business goals.
In the past, adopting cloud native technologies was optional. But now it has become a necessity for an enterprise looking to build apps faster and deploy them in a robust IT environment in order to be innovative, responsive and competitive. Cloud is today a matured technology and offers a wide range of enhanced capabilities that were inconceivable some time ago.
DevOps is the key for organizations to optimally leverage the cloud and embrace a cloud native approach. Companies are embracing cloud native technologies to innovate at a faster speed, accelerate their go-to-market process and transform. DevOps help organizations to collaborate better by aligning people, processes and technologies to drive speed and efficiency. It helps an organization by ensuring that all people involved in building apps work seamlessly.
Cloud native app development is an approach that takes full advantage of cloud computing and is based on service-based architecture such as microservices, API-based communication, container infrastructure, and DevOps. Cloud native DevOps bring several benefits to an organization including:
- Continuous software development
- Faster issue resolution
- Productive teams
- Increased employee engagement
- Faster enhancements in software
- Increased scalability and reliability
- Improved collaboration
- Better communication
- Faster innovation
At Gemini Consulting & Services, we have a dedicated practice on cloud technologies. We can assist you in building cloud native DevOps. Our trusted methodologies, cross-industry experience and deep technology expertise can help you gain optimal value from cloud native DevOps faster and at low risk. Click here to know more about our services.
Implementing cloud native DevOps require changes in organizational culture, processes and technology. A best practice-driven approach would help you not only accelerate your implementation process but will also identify challenges and risks and address them effectively. Here are the 5 key best practices for successfully implementing cloud native DevOps in your organization.
- Adopt a Cloud Native Mindset: Cloud native DevOps is much more than the adoption of new technology or a platform. It is a shift in culture and mindset. Cloud native requires a service-oriented mindset. To take advantage of new technologies, faster approaches, and improved collaboration, your organization need to truly embrace the principles of DevOps and build a mindset around those values. So, begin with changing the mindset within the organization and restructure your teams around capabilities.
- Understand the Technologies Involved: Cloud native DevOps mainly use open-source technologies. As a result, it is important to understand how these technologies work and how to manage them. There’s always a risk in adopting new technologies as it may impact the stability of an organization. So, make a risk assessment and identify the changes required to adopt the cloud native technologies.
- Empower Your People: Begin with an assessment of the existing skill sets available with the company and determine the support the cloud native DevOps team might need. You need to analyze the skills of employees to address any gaps. Also, identify the requirements of your teams and give them access to the tools, and training required.
- Assess Organization’s Capabilities: Cloud native technologies allow developers to quickly design and deploy highly reliable and scalable services. However, you would need processes and a work culture to support faster deployment and a dynamic environment. So, understand your organization’s existing processes, their capabilities for faster deployment and dynamic workflows.
- Automate IT: This is essential to accelerate the delivery cycle and eliminate manual tasks. Automation can include network and infrastructure provisioning, application deployment and configurations. It can be extended further into containers, cloud computing, security, and testing, etc.
Cloud native DevOps culture offers huge opportunities to a business. It is transforming the way applications are built and managed. They offer an effective way for organizations to take advantage of the cloud to create scalable and reliable services. Adopting cloud native DevOps is the first step of the process. It may look resource and capital intensive but can offer significant returns to enterprises.