ServiceNow IT Service Management (ITSM) is a cloud-based, mobile-first solution that helps organizations manage and track digital workflows within a unified, intuitive platform. With all modules based on the IT Infrastructure Library, ServiceNow ITSM provides a better operating model for a business’s IT infrastructure.
IT service delivery is the process by which enterprise users receive access to IT services, applications, data storage, and other business resources. IT service delivery covers the design, development, deployment, operation, and retirement of such services.
Some examples include the provision of new mail accounts for employees, requests /repairs of laptops, password resets and implementation of new software or cloud service packages. In addition, it covers day-to-day technical tasks of maintaining hardware, software and cloud services, ensuring that everything is maintained as per standards and operating at a high level of performance.
Making the move from legacy on-premise IT system to cloud-based ServiceNow ITSM helps better decision making, creating quality customer experiences, extending access to connected information, case management best practices and automated solutions for common issues. Above everything, it brings about transparency across the entire IT service ecosystem and the flexibility for the business to adapt to meet current and future needs.
According to MarketWatch, ServiceNow and Atlassian are the top two players in the IT Service Management (ITSM) market. Together, they command about 42% of the market.
ServiceNow stands out from other ITSM solution providers with powerful reporting tools and AI capabilities that enable constant improvement of processes. ServiceNow’s powerful Configuration Management Database (CMDB) enables precise mapping of the IT architecture of a business with its modular approach. Besides overall improved customer satisfaction with IT, ServiceNow ITSM offers flexibility and brings quantified benefits to organizations.
ServiceNow ITSM has a collection of out-of-the-box modules combined with built-in best practices that help enterprises harness shared data and disparate tools to a single system of action. A detailed description of these modules is given below.
- Common Service Data Model (CSDM): Connects the CMDB to services from both business and technical perspectives such that it is service-aware. The benefits of this module are – accurate reporting, increased platform maturity, a single service language, staying out of the box and better control over service costs.
- Configuration Management: Every ServiceNow application uses this data model. It ensures that ServiceNow applications work seamlessly with each other, thereby, helping the business easily diagnose service outages, evaluate the impact of changes, manage assets, improve compliance and a lot more.
- Knowledge Management: It captures the ‘tacit’ knowledge in the organization and makes it tangible and visible to help improve self-service and case resolution by automatically identifying and visualizing knowledge gaps. This is done using machine learning and assigning gaps identified to authors for resolution. It empowers agents and employees to capture knowledge articles during work processes, such as case studies or incident management as well.
- Service Catalog: It automates workflows and approvals allowing businesses to improve the customer experience, accelerating service delivery, and reducing operational costs. Its highly intuitive interface boosts self-service and increases efficiency.
While ServiceNow has expanded on the ITSM model to create workflow solutions across an enterprise, ITSM remains their core offering and one of the most popular in the market. Gemini Consulting & Services has extensive experience in implementing ServiceNow ITSM for various enterprises. Contact us to know how your business can benefit from ServiceNow implementation.
- Service Level Management is a comprehensive platform capability that documents and tracks all service commitments between IT, service providers and customers. Once defined, it provides detailed visualizations to understand active Service Level Agreements (SLAs) and automate notifications and escalations while keeping all stakeholders in the loop by providing access to key metrics as and when needed.
- The Incident Management feature keeps employees productive and motivated by ensuring they easily contact support to track and fix issues. Users can connect with IT through the web or mobile self-service /virtual agents powered by Natural Language Understanding (NLU). A dedicated portal for Major Incident Management ensures swift resolution by uniting the right resolution teams and stakeholders to restore services at the right time.
- Problem Management helps restore services quickly and helps businesses to prevent issues from happening. With a structured workflow for diagnosing root causes and fixing problems, businesses can easily eliminate recurring incidents and minimize the impact of any unexpected disruption. Automated workflows help document workarounds and solutions. IT teams can thus focus and get more done.
- The Change and Release Management feature can transform change managers into change enablers. Minimal failed changes and reduced cost per change are possible with automatic conflict detection and risk assessment. The DevOps change process can be enabled with automated change approvals and governance. Approvals for low-risk changes can also be automated. Thus, driving greater efficiency. Complex changes call for the Change Advisory Board (CAB) Workbench to automatically plan schedule and run CAB meetings efficiently.
- ServiceNow Request Management provides employee self-service capabilities using a published brochure of services, automated workflows, and service level agreements. Mobile functionalities help employees request services anytime, from any device and receive automated status updates to ensure expectations are met.
- Continual Improvement Management enables businesses to discover improvement opportunities, set quantifiable goals, and track progress against them. It is a structured framework that brings together people, processes and data in one place and helps achieve service excellence across processes.
- KPI Composer is a holistic, coordinated approach that ensures that stakeholders are aligned on the desired outcomes and requirements before spending time on implementation or any technical deliverables.
- Performance Analytics (PRO) helps visualize performance improvement and real-time insight into business performance. Optimize service and improve processes pro-actively, make smart decisions for better service quality and increased efficiency. Trends can be anticipated with continuous monitoring of current trends and historical performance thus deploying resources where needed.
- AI Tools with the out-of-the-box machine learning models that categorize, predict and prioritize business issues. Businesses can directly deliver requests to the right agent with the right prioritization, thus, helping agents to resolve issues quickly exceeding service levels and increasing customer satisfaction.
- The Integration Hub simplifies cross-organizational automation by connecting ServiceNow workflows to critical business systems. Integration is easy with a no-code setup using integration hub spokes while enabling app development with source control.
- The ServiceNow Service Portal easily integrates mobile apps within the single portal, giving all users simple and immediate access to services, information, and applications.
- ServiceNow Mobile App helps both customers and employees to benefit from a unified, tailored mobile experience.
- The AI-powered Virtual Agent chatbot provides instant answers quickly, thereby resolving issues of high volume and common requests. It reduces cost, increases customer satisfaction, and keeps resources focused on more pressing issues.
- Single View enables service agents to act on queries easily while accessing an intuitive interface. They get to see the full context of an issue, analytics and AI-prompted recommendations that can help provide resolutions.